The Windows Server Manager is a cool new standard feature in Windows Server 2012 and a add-on feature for Windows 8 (RSAT). In this Server Manager application you can manage all your 2008R2 and 2012 servers. All in just one single dynamic management interface.
With Server Manager, you can:
- Remotely deploy roles and features to multiple servers, physical or virtual, local or remote, from a single console.
- Provision servers and offline virtual hard disks from their desktops without requiring physical access to the system or Remote Desktop Protocol connections to each server.
- Manage groups of servers collectively from within a single, integrated console, which enables them to respond to business-critical problems with greater speed and agility.
How to set-up Server Manager for 2008(R2) servers:
- Go to your 2008(R2) server
- Download and install the Windows Management Framework 3.0 update (WINRM 3.0) > download link
- Install this hotfix to fix the issue with Performance counters (you can use Server Manager without it but then you won't be able to see the servers performance counters) > download link (reboot required)
- Open Powershell on your 2008(R2) server (elevated command prompt)
- Give the command: winrm quickconfig (this will start the WINRM service and will create a listener and a firewall rule > Accept the changes by typing Yes )
Your 2008(R2) server is now ready to be used with the new Windows Server Manager!
also see this Technet link.